Tip of the Week – 20 Jun 2013
Tip of the Week – Are 100G Systems Immune to PMD?
Recently, there has been much talk about 100Gbps systems that use DP-QPSK modulation and coherent receivers being immune to fiber polarization mode dispersion (PMD) effects. This is simply not true. Although these 100G system can tolerate PMD disturbances much better than standard 10G systems, a significant PMD (DGD) event can certainly disrupt 100G communications. If a PMD disruption/outage should occur it may take a while for the 100G system to recover, which can result in a prolonged outage.
So before you decide to cancel all of your PMD testing for your 100G links, talk to the 100G equipment manufacturer engineer and find out the PMD facts about their equipment on your fiber. You may decide to reconsider your test plan.
* Now Available new DWDM and CWDM Optical Power Meter *
The DWDM and CWDM Lite Power Meters allow you to easily measure DWDM and CWDM signal powers and wavelengths in your fiber and on any port of your multiplexer. Measurement range for DWDM is from 1526.43nm to 1563.86nm and for CWDM is from 1270nm to 1610nm. It works like a mini optical spectrum analyzer (OSA). When connected to the common fiber out of a DWDM or CWDM multiplexer, it identifies and shows all channels in the fiber and their individual channel powers.
This tool is a must have for technicians deploying and debugging DWDM and CWDM systems, measuring channel loss, and equalizing channel powers in EDFA applications.
- simultaneous measurement of all DWDM or CWDM channel powers in C-Band
- identifies which DWDM or CWDM channels are present in a fiber
- dynamic range -40dBm to +10dBm
- computer interface
- rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- compact and portable, dimensions 3 x 6 x 1.4 inches
- great price
- Passive DWDM and CWDM networks
- EDFA DWDM networks to aid in channel power balancing
- OADM Networks