Tip of the Week – 19 Aug 2013
Tip of the Week – Fiber Panel Port Security
Have you ever had someone accidentally disconnect a live fiber from your distribution panel or DWDM/CWDM multiplexer? Or are you concerned about fiber access security in distribution panels and DWDM/CWDM multiplexers at unsecured sites or customer premise locations? Then you may be interested in locking and keyed fiber jumper connectors.
Locking fiber jumper connectors are designed to lock onto fiber distribution panel and DWDM/CWDM multiplexer adapters in order to reduce the possibility of accidentally disconnection. In order to remove a connector, a special extraction tool keyed for that connector is required. Port protection plugs are also available that are used to prevent unauthorized connections to dark fiber ports or unused DWDM/CWDM channels. Again, special extraction tool is required to disconnect the plug from the port adapter.
Keyed fiber jumper connectors are specially designed connectors with an embedded key that will only allow mating with an adapter that has the same key design (see pic below). This prevents someone connecting a standard fiber jumper connector to the port, which enhances the portâ€™s security.
A number of companies carry these products including Leviton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDAqWSPZJTM , Corning, Belden, and Senko http://www.senko.com/fiberoptic/detail_product.php?product=340 . Most of the keyed and locking connectors are LC type.
Note, there is no Standard in keying methods and color coding.
Let Telecom Engineering DWDM, CWDM, OADM, M-ROADM Lite Multiplexers increase your fiber capacity over 2 or 1 fiber strands.
- Keyed connector adapters to enhance security and prevent unauthorized connection
- Drop or pass through any number DWDM or CWDM channels
- 50 GHz, 100 GHz, 200 GHz spaced channels
- Supports up to 100 Gbps DP-QPSK transceivers
- 8 to 44 channel units available expansion to 80 channels (C-band, 160 channels for C+L bands)
- Easy to use, no configuration required
- Two or single fiber communication
- Optional monitor ports
- Custom DWDM and CWDM designs
- Full access to connector adapters for simple replacement without traffic disruptions on adjacent channels
- ITU industry standard
- Available with optional 1310 port for added 1310 window access.
- Totally passive, no power required
- High reliability
- ISO 9001 manufacturing, Telcordia GR-1209 and GR-1221
- Lifetime Warranty